Ellen Wilker will guide you through scheduling and prioritizing what you need to do to tuck your garden safely up for the winter:
- What to do with your compost
- How to winter seed
- How to protect your soil
- How to keep biodiversity over the winter so it is still there come spring
- How to protect your plants, shrubs, trees from animal damage
- How to overwinter your plants
- How to clean up and protect your perennial beds
- How to care for your tools, structures and greenhouse so they are ready for spring
Date: Sunday, Sept 18, 2022
Time: 1:30 – 3:30
Location: Old Blue Truck Farm – 1076 Swansea Road Invermere BC
Cost: Members – $20.00
Non Members- $25
Notes: – Groundswell will be doing separate workshops on dividing tubers and seed saving.
– Please meet at the Old Blue Truck Farm 10 minutes ahead of the start time to provide ample time for parking.
– Things to bring: Your garden journal and pen, your water, bug off, layered clothes as we will be outside and on dirt so choose the appropriate shoes and be prepared to handle rain, sun and everything in between.
You may want to bring cash to be able to purchase produce or amendments from their stand.
Ellen has a BSc in Environmental science and Geography, and currently doing a diploma in Environmental Restoration. She started her journey in agriculture as a farm hand at edible acres. It was here she fell in love with developing a reciprocal relationship with the land, for her community. After school she joined forces with her family in order to get The Old Blue Truck Farm off the ground. Her plan is to combine her love for agriculture with the environment in order to restore agroecological systems!